SpaceX’s lunar lander contract on hold again pending Blue Origin’s lawsuit
SpaceX’s $3 billion contract to build a lunar lander for NASA was put on hold for a second time on Thursday after Jeff Bezos’ Blue Origin sued over the award, according to court filings. NASA voluntarily agreed to temporarily suspend the contract until November 1st while the US Court of Federal Claims, where Blue Origin filed suit last week, adjudicates the case.
A status report jointly filed by Blue Origin, SpaceX and the government on Thursday said NASA’s “voluntary stay of performance shall expire” on November 1st. Oral arguments are set for October 14th, the judge said. SpaceX had intervened in the lawsuit earlier this week to “ensure that the court has a complete and accurate picture” of the protest, the company told the judge.